In accordance with the provisions of Bill 73 and the requirements of Regulation 613, HSTS may provide child or booster seats for students who are travelling in a vehicle with less than 10 seats for all passengers and who require them by law.
HSTS may provide child booster seats for student passengers travelling on a vehicle with less than 10 seats who meet all of the following criteria:
- under the age of eight; and
- weigh between 18-36 kg (40-80 lbs.) or;
- stand less than 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall.
HSTS may provide forward-facing child car seats for all student passengers travelling on a vehicle with less than 10 seats who:
- weigh between 9-18 kg (20-40 lbs.).
Parent/Guardian and School staff shall:
1. ensure that the student is secured properly in the child booster/car seat and that seat belts and/or safety vests are secured properly before the vehicle departs and unsecure the student upon arrival.
Bus/Taxi Operator shall:
1. provide their drivers with the proper training so they know how to secure the booster/car seat properly and firmly in place in the vehicle before the vehicle departs.
2. provide their drivers with proper training so they know how a safety vest should be secured properly in the vehicle before the vehicle departs.
Reviewed: October 2020Operating Procedure: HS-5-004 – Child Booster and Car Seats (Refer to Form TF019)