HSTS recognizes that support persons for students with special needs may be authorized to travel on school-purpose vehicles.
For the purpose of this procedure, a support person may be a school board employee.
A support person may also be the sibling of a student with special needs who provides the necessary support or assistance to their sibling while being transported.
1. The School Board will advise HSTS of the need for the support person.
2. HSTS may authorize the support person once a Vulnerable Sector Screening search has been submitted to the school principal.
3. Transportation for the support person, who is not a school board employee, will be one way either to school in the morning and/or from the school in the afternoon, based on the student’s destination.
4. HSTS will not be responsible for the co-ordination of, or the cost associated with, the return trip for the support person once the student reaches his/her destination.
5. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act of 2005, support persons will not be charged a cost to travel with the student with special needs.
6. HSTS reserves the right to request medical documentation to support the need for the support person.
7. HSTS will not grant courtesy seats on special needs vehicles due to the requirement under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) of 2005 to provide transportation for support persons.
Revised: September 2018Operating Procedure: HS-5-003 – Support Persons for Students with Special Needs