HSTS recognizes that a student may require a service animal to accompany them while being transported on a school purpose vehicle as part of their daily life and activities.
Service animals are trained to assist individuals with their daily lives and living activities.
The Human Rights Code and the Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005 cites the use of service animals as a right of the individual.
Upon receiving approval from the Board’s Special Education/Student Services Department:
The school Principal (or designate) shall:
1. Contact HSTS to discuss any specific requirements for the student and service animal prior to the start date;
2. Confirm the start date for the service animal travelling on the school purpose vehicle;
3. Contact the families of the other students riding on the vehicle to make them aware that a service animal is required to accompany the student while being transported to/from school prior to the start date;
HSTS staff shall:
1. organize transportation for the student and service animal; and
2. inform the bus/taxi operator that a service animal is required to accompany the student while being transported to/from school.
Individualized student transportation plans will be reviewed annually.
Revised: September 2018Operating Procedure: HS-5-002 – Transporting Service Animals