HSTS is fully supportive of integrated accessible student transportation services for all students where it is safe and practical to do so, keeping in mind the needs of the student. Where feasible, students with special needs will be transported on school buses.
HSTS will provide specialized transportation for students who have been identified and approved by the school board based on one or more of the following criteria:
1. Has a physical disability that prevents him/her from boarding a bus and walking to his/her seat.
2. Attends a congregated, specialized program outside his/her school catchment area.
3. Has been identified by the school boards’ Special Education/Student Services Department as requiring special transportation.
4. Attends a provincial school or a treatment centre.
Special transportation requests are reviewed and approved annually by the respective school board.
The Special Education/Student Services Department shall:
1. Before June 30th annually, provide HSTS a list of all the students who are registered in a specialized program for the next school year.
2. Provide HSTS with the student’s registration information (school of attendance, address, phone, parent/guardian contact, special transportation requirements, etc.).
3. Maintain an up-to-date list of all students attending a Provincial school;
4. Maintain an up-to-date list of all students attending a specialized program.
5. Provide an annual travel plan for each student with special needs who requires transportation in accordance with the requirements set out in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
The School Board shall:
1. Approve and provide the name, address, emergency contact information and any pertinent medical information, special needs and/or accommodation requirements for any new student who requires specialized transportation.
2. Request that the parent/guardian be responsible for transportation for short-term medical conditions.
3. Forward the request to HSTS after the appropriate Board administrative approvals.
The Director of Transportation for Provincial Schools shall:
1. Before the end of the school year, provide HSTS a list of all the students who are registered at a provincial school for the next school year.
2. Provide HSTS with all of the student’s information (address, phone parent/guardian contact, special requirements, medical conditions, etc.).
3. Maintain an up-to-date list of all students attending a provincial school.
1. Consult with the Special Education/Student Services Department and/or Principal on all specialized transportation requests that do not have the completed documentation.
2. Organize transportation for approved requests, keeping in mind the student’s needs, length of trip and program location.
3. Maintain an up-to-date list of students receiving special transportation services; indicate the type of transportation provided and the date when the approved transportation will end.
4. Provide access to schools through Bus Planner Web to obtain updated student transportation information annually.
Revised: September 2018Operating Procedure: HS-5-001 – Accessible Student Transportation (Refer to Form TF033, TF033A)