HSTS understands that the education sector could be faced with numerous challenges as a result of a pandemic incident. For this reason, the following responsibilities will be implemented in Phase 5 or above of a pandemic (Pandemic phases are outlined by World Health Organization).
In the event of a pandemic, this procedure along with the detailed HSTS Pandemic Response Plan will serve as the main resources along with information and direction provided by the member boards.
Operations Committee Members shall:
1. provide timely information to the General Manager on matters related to board-specific pandemic issues;
2. communicate any student transportation related issues to the respective school boards;
3. assist in the communication and dissemination of information to the respective school boards and to the General Manager; and
4. advise and make recommendations to the respective school boards and/or the General Manager.
The General Manager and/or Transportation Manager shall:
1. provide timely information to the Operations Committee, HSTS staff, and transportation providers on matters related to board-specific pandemic issues;
2. communicate transportation cancellations to the respective school boards, transportation providers, Municipal/Regional partners, and media contacts;
3. advise and make recommendations to the Operations Committee;
4. make decisions regarding transportation cancellations and give clear direction to meet all contingencies;
5. inform the Operations Committee about the measures taken to reduce exposure (student, staff, transportation provider);
6. follow all communication directives from the member boards;
7. maintain an open line of communication with the Operations Committee; and
8. identify issues for problem solving.
HSTS staff shall:
1. use proper hygiene principles at all times;
2. assist General Manager/Transportation Manager as required;
3. ensure office doors remain locked at all times, do not allow unauthorized visitors entry into the office; and
4. not report to work if experiencing influenza-like symptoms.
The Bus/Taxi Operators shall:
1. provide HSTS staff with the number of drivers/staff absent;
2. provide input, with respect to transportation cancellation, based on driver absenteeism;
3. provide HSTS staff with the number of routes that cannot be covered due to driver absenteeism;
4. at the request of the General Manager and/or Transportation Manager, direct drivers to wipe down handrails with disinfecting wipes after every run (generally phase 5 and above);
5. provide drivers with hand sanitizer and post information provided by the Health department;
6. provide a copy of company Pandemic Plan to HSTS; and
7. educate all staff on proper hygiene (e.g. hand washing techniques, coughing/sneezing etiquette).
Reviewed: January 2020Operating Procedure: HS-4-010 – Pandemic Responsibilities