HSTS may arrange temporary transportation for eligible students, who because of injuries or illness may encounter temporary difficulty getting to or from their assigned bus stop.
When transportation is requested by a parent of a student who has been injured or has a temporary physical disability, arrangements may be made up to a maximum of 6 weeks, providing the student is eligible for transportation under the Board’s Transportation Policy and the request is accompanied by a medical note.
All requests for temporary medical transportation must be supported by a medical note indicating the special need and, if less than 6 weeks, the approximate duration of transportation. The medical note must be completed and signed by a medical doctor and returned to the school office.
A medical note does not guarantee transportation will be automatically approved. Each request will be reviewed based on the individual circumstance.
Requests for temporary medical transportation for students who are not eligible for transportation will automatically be denied (this includes students who have been granted permission to ride a bus under Operating Procedure HS-1- 004 – Courtesy Seats).
1. notify the school of the injury; and
2. provide completed medical note to the school.
1. confirm that the student is eligible for transportation;
2. notify HSTS of the incoming request; and
3. send the completed medical note to HSTS.
1. review the request and if approved, make the appropriate transportation arrangements. Once transportation is approved, transportation will be arranged from home to school and return only based on the school start/end times.
Requests for alternate arrangements, i.e. to or from a medical center for therapy will be denied.
HSTS will not be responsible for any costs associated with obtaining a medical note.
Effective Date: September 2013Operating Procedure: HS-3-008 – Temporary Medical Transportation