Parents/Guardians are responsible for their children’s safe arrival to the bus stop in the morning and from the bus stop in the afternoon.
HSTS will consider requests that a bus stop be changed or implemented if the student and/or their parent(s) / guardian(s) require accommodation of validated needs because of their identification with a ground or grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code, (race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, family status or disability). HSTS will grant these validated requests unless to do so would cause ‘undue’ hardship’ to HSTS (that is, it will be prohibitively expensive or it will create serious health and safety risks).
HSTS determines bus stop placement based on the following:
1. The distance between the student’s place of residence and the bus stop is calculated based on the shortest distance on a public road or walkway from the student’s residential property line to their designated bus stop.
2. Home to bus stop distance criteria:
Grades JK-8 Up to 0.8 km
Grades 9-12 Up to 1.6 km
Grades JK-12 Up to 1.6 km
3. Bus stops will not be located on a steep grade, brow of a hill or a blind curve.
4. School buses will not enter cul-de-sacs (urban and rural) or townhouse/condominium complexes; bus stops will be located at or near the entrance to the cul-de-sac or complex.
5. Where houses are grouped in urban and rural areas, including rural estate subdivisions, students will be required to utilize community stops.
6. In rural areas, bus stop locations, when feasible, shall be a minimum of 304 meters (1,000 feet) apart, and should allow a minimum of 152 meters (500 feet) of clear vision in both directions.
7. On rural roads with posted speed limits greater than 60 km, every attempt will be made to pick up and drop off Kindergarten and Grade 1 students close to their home laneway.
8. School buses shall not enter new subdivisions (construction areas) until all major construction activity has been completed. School bus stops will be placed at or near the entrance to the new subdivision. Bus stop locations within new subdivisions will be determined by HSTS upon completed site reviews.
9. Parents/guardians shall not make requests to the bus driver for a bus stop that is not authorized by HSTS. Any unauthorized bus stops may result in the temporary suspension or the permanent withdrawal of the student’s transportation privileges or may result in driver disciplinary action.
Effective Date: September 2014Operating Procedure: HS-3-002 – Bus Stop Placement