HSTS shall provide transportation services to students attending their board designated school who meet the minimum distance criteria set out in the respective school board’s Transportation Policy. HSTS shall provide transportation to board approved programs as directed by the respective school board.
Transportation is not provided for students who by choice attend a school outside of their board designated school boundary (optional attendance/cross boundary).
In accordance with the respective school board’s Transportation Policies, students may access transportation services if they meet the following minimum distance requirements:
Grades JK-8 Greater than 1.6 km
Grades 9-12 Greater than 3.2 km
Student’s Primary Address
A student’s primary address is his/her legal and permanent place of residence. This address determines his/her board designated school of attendance. In the case of shared custody, it is the parents’ responsibility to decide on the student’s primary address, in order to determine the student’s board designated school of attendance.
The address of a daycare provider is not considered a student’s legal and permanent address.
- All measurements for transportation purposes will be calculated by HSTS using Ministry approved software with the GIS base map provided by the Region of Halton;
- The home to school distance calculation is measured using the municipal road centre line on public roads or walkways from the closest property line of the student’s primary address to the closest property line of their board designated school of attendance; this includes townhouse, condominium and other multi residential complexes with one municipal address.
- The home to bus stop distance calculation, (refer to Distance Calculation, HS-3-013), is measured using the municipal road centre line on public roads or walkways from the closest property line of the student’s primary address to the bus stop location; this includes townhouse, condominium and other multi residential complexes with one municipal address.
- Distance calculations will be applied consistently for all home to school and home to bus stop distance measurements.
Students may be required to travel the following distance to get to/from a bus stop location:
|Grades JK-8||Up to 0.8 km|
|Grades 9-12||Up to 1.6 km|
|Grades JK-12||Up to 1.6 km|
*The above distances apply only to students who are eligible for transportation.
Other Eligibility Criteria
- Students who reside less than the minimum distance may be transported where deemed appropriate by HSTS as detailed in Operating Procedure HS-1-003 – Eligibility Factors.
- Students with special needs may be eligible for transportation upon the approval of their respective school board as detailed in Operating Procedure HS-5-001 – Accessible Student Transportation.
The school shall:
- maintain accurate, up-to-date student data in their respective Boards student database (Trillium);
- inform HSTS of new student registrations or changes to existing student information that may require transportation once the student information has been entered into the Board’s student database (Trillium); and
- communicate transportation information to the parents or guardians and inform them about the HSTS website at the time of the student’s registration.
- download the student data into the student transportation system on a daily basis in order to maintain accurate student information;
- verify each student’s address to determine eligibility based on the student’s primary residence and their board designated school/program; and
- assign transportation services to eligible students based on the distance criteria set out in the respective school board’s Transportation Policy, taking into account the eligibility factors outlined in Operating Procedure HS-1-003 – Eligibility Factors.
Revised: January 2020Operating Procedure: HS-1-002 – Transportation Eligibility